Today I'm reviewing Simpler Living : a back to basics guide to cleaning, furnishing, storing, decluttering, streamlining, organizing, and more by Jeff Davidson. It's one of the books I took out of the library the other day to give me some hints and inspiration for my tidy-up procedures.
I'll start out by saying I don't consider myself a minimalist by any means. I like stuff. "Simpler" living is my goal, but I can't live the Shaker lifestyle. And don't get me started on feng shui. I think feng shui, according to the popular wisdom of modern interior design, is like the unicorns I used to draw when I was in fifth grade. Some of them had wings, some had rainbow horns, some had beards and some had tiny, dainty feet like ballerinas. There is no one feng shui. It has become a magical concept variously interpreted by contemporary weenies that was adapted from actual ancient lore.
That said, I think that Simpler Living isn't bad, but it's kind of overwhelming. It has simplifying ideas for everything!!!!! The title alone should be a hint that simplifying isn't so simple. There are a massive amount of bullet points for every idea. On a side note, I was also disturbed by the inclusion of a (non-captioned) photo of a basket of toys that included three teddy bears and two Gollywog dolls. WTF?
I want to keep reading about this subject, for the same reasons as before. I said once in a previous blog entry that this subject has become my version of porn.
No comments:
Post a Comment