I did the Twilight Rummage Sale last night at the Eagles Lodge. It happened a week earlier than usual for reasons yet unknown, and the Bite of Oregon festival probably stole a lot of our potential visitors. I did all right though.
The crowd there is totally right for the kind of stuff I keep bringing. A lot of fans of film noir, British spy films/TV, horror of all kinds, and sci-fi B-movies. Not doing so great: dramas about failing marriages in the 1970s, documentaries, or action films. Here's a tip for you shoppers: when you set something down, you better make sure you pick it up again when you're still standing there. I had a woman place a box set aside thinking I knew she wanted it, and another guy nearly nabbed it. A guy who I see everywhere, who I used to think was J Mascis, left his UFO or Die 7" on my table and went home without it. Don't worry dude, I'll hang onto it until I bump into you again.
I spoke to the guy who DJs the sale, who also happens to be one of my regular comics customers and a pretty nice person overall. He showed me the equipment I'll need for when I DJ at the next Comix Thing happening in November. I know it's super soon to be thinking about it but it turns out that I need a mixer, which I don't have. I have everything else I need. Another guy who works at the Lodge has offered to help me practice setting up and trying out everything. When I worked at the radio stations they had everything there you needed, plugged in and ready to go, so this is the first time I have had to set up almost from scratch. I have trouble figuring out how to set up my stereo at home so you can understand the head start I'm giving myself. I know a lot of DJs and they are all so friendly and helpful, there are no snobs among them.

No comments:
Post a Comment