Sunday, April 27, 2014

Basement library beatdown

I'm back in the basement again pruning the usual junk.  I'm going through the books Dylan had down there and picking out what I mean to keep.

I intend to give some more books to friends and have Powell's Books buy most of the rest.  Though I think I'd like the Portland Art Museum's  library to have some.  Dylan had the most amazing collection of comics by overseas creators all over the world.  I think it would be great to have them in a place where people who love art want to be.

I concede that it doesn't look great down here, but it's better than before.  And you can see the entire bookcases, as I removed the junk on the floor in front of it.

Remember this?

And this?

I'm glad I took pictures.  Otherwise I'd feel like nothing is really changing.

Going through the books this time is surprisingly similar, emotionally, to all the other sifting I did with Dylan's collections.  It's a little easier to reason with myself about where these will all end up, but I still experience some self-recrimination and sorrow.  Also, the mental and physical exhaustion of the process.  I need a foot rub after all this. 


2 comments:

  1. Emily, I salute you for all you've done and continue to do!
    Your blog is very inspiring to me -- Leeann and I are in a smaller apartment than we used to have, and stare at a stacks of boxes every day. I really want to got through them all and clear our living room. But progress is slow. You're showing me that it can be done. Here's to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much David - having you cheer me on makes it so much more fun and easy!!

      Delete