Monday, June 17, 2013

Portland Success Story

Last night I ran a table for the first time at the Twilight Rummage Sale, which happens once a month at the Eagles Lodge on SE Hawthorne here in Portland.  It's a four-hour affair that starts in the late afternoon.  It was replete with activity, sights and sounds from the moment I walked in the door and inquired where my table would be.  Now that I've been doing comics conventions for so long, I felt like a pro getting set up.  Not many people know this, but throughout my childhood I used to help my dad sell antique toys at shows.  I brought a bunch of DVDs and CDs that were left over from the Bad Apple store days, and some earrings I had made.  I also had a few vintage odds and ends.  I started selling stuff even before the show opened!  This isn't to say that I made a million dollars, but I made enough to say it was worth the time, and I would do it again for sure.

I stayed put for most of the time except to take bathroom breaks; I didn't want to get too tempted to buy more stuff.  Everyone had such great things they were selling!  Vintage clothes, vinyl records, toys, art.  Alicia Justus of Red Star Art had a table near mine. I've been a fan of her work for years and I have a few of her dolls and paintings.

The lodge is staffed with kindly members of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and there's a full bar and hot food if you want to order it.  Dawn, the organizer for the sale, had a birthday and they brought out cake for her which she shared with everyone in the room.  When they were singing to her the candles on her cake were being blown out by the ceiling fan.  Out of sight!!

I would totally recommend to anyone with junk to sell to give this a try.  Dawn's phone number is 503-285-6786, and her email is lostdolls@hotmail.com.

The whole time I was there I was sitting across from the most amazing piece of art - it was an eagle made of a collage of rhinestone jewelry on black velvet.  Wow!  I wish I had a camera, but I'll get a pic next time I'm there.  This rhinestone patch image doesn't match the glory, but it will have to do for now:

No comments:

Post a Comment