Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Craigslist and the big stand-up game

If you try to get rid of stuff on the "Free" section of Craigslist's "For Sale" category, be prepared to meet the flakiest people in town.  I put the microfiche machine up because I couldn't find a taker out of anyone I knew.  The first guy who responded set up a meeting time, and I cut off a nice visit with a dear friend to meet this weenie.  When he didn't show I texted him to see if he was still coming and he didn't get back to me for an hour.  He offered to come get it "after the Ducks game", which means nothing to me except that ball games end when they end.  When I asked him for a more specific time he changed his mind about the whole thing.

After a few more tries with the other people who had contacted me, I emailed a man I will call Bob.  His reply asked that I not fall through on an arranged time, so I figured I had my man.  I began to doubt when he left me a message saying he'd be an hour late, but he did show and got the equipment.  Not only that, but Bob offered to take anything else I might be giving away.  I thought for a second about giving him the furniture that I didn't give to the last Salvation Army pickup, but realized I would have to empty them out.  He then told me about his vision problems, which made me worry that he was driving all the way out to Beaverton, when he said I looked like a blur to him.  I was standing three feet away from him when he said this.  All told though he was a nice man and we're both happy with how the transaction went.

No comments:

Post a Comment